4 tomatoes, diced
1 purple onion, thinly sliced
2 pears, finely diced
2 apples, finely diced
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp all spice
3 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp fennel seeds
1.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup The Wholefood Pantry Sultanas
Pinch The Wholefood Pantry Himalayan Salt
3 tbsp The Wholefood Pantry Coconut Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Use a baking paper lined roasting tray to roast the tomatoes, onions, fennel seeds with some olive oil and salt for 30 minutes or until nicely roasted and caramelised.
2. Meanwhile put a large saucepan onto medium heat. Place the mustard seeds into the dry pan and heat until you hear them start to pop and crackle.
3. Add in the red wine vinegar and move the saucepan around for a few seconds to cook off the vinegar slightly. Before it heats too much and begins to burn, add in the chopped apples, pears, sultanas, coconut sugar and all of the spices. Stir occasionally to stop the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4. Once the tomato and onion are roasted, add in to the saucepan along with any ‘caramelised juicy' bits on the baking paper.
5. Simmer and stir occasionally until the apples and pears are softened, everything is well combined and the mixture is thick and chutney like.
6. Season with a pinch of salt, and adjust flavour adding more salt if needed. The overall flavour should be a sweet, spiced taste with a sharp undertone from the red wine vinegar.
7. Pour into sterilised jars and seal. Label with the date: it will last for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.