3 star anise
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 Ltr boiling water
4 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup fish sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
300 gm pho noodles
1 sirloin steak (250-300g)
½ cup chopped coriander
3 spring onions, thinly sliced, to serve
2 handfuls of bean sprouts
2 handfuls of mint leaves
2 handfuls holy basil if available
2 thinly sliced birds-eye chillies
1 lime, juiced
1 lime, halved to serve
- Toast star anise, cloves & cinnamon in a pot for (30 seconds)
- Add peanut oil, garlic and ginger, stir for 1 minute.
- Pour in boiling water, broth, fish sauce, maple syrup and lime juice. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes - taste and adjust seasoning.
- Meanwhile, sear steak on both sides for 3 minutes, until caramelised and cooked to your liking.
- Thinly slice steak into 2 mm slices and set aside.
- Blanch noodles in a saucepan of boiling water until just tender, drain and divide among bowls, then add sliced steak.
- Strain broth, and pour into bowls over steak (it will continue to cook in the hot broth)
- Top generously with herbs and bean sprouts, add chilli and spring onions.
Ready in: 20 mins
Difficulty level: Easy - Peasy