1kg stewing beef cut into chunks
Olive Oil (for cooking)
1 brown onion
3 garlic cloves, sliced
400g mushrooms, sliced
a few sprigs of thyme, chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp tamari
1 can coconut cream
20ml lemon juice
the zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1. Lightly dust the beef with tapioca flour, and a little salt and pepper. Shake off excess.
2. Heat a heavy based casserole pan with olive oil, and quickly brown the beef on each side (but don't cook through) to get those flavours going! Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pan, fry the onion and garlic until browned. Set aside.
4. Set aside 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms to fry at the end. Add a little more olive oil to the pan, then fry the rest of the mushrooms and thyme in batches to brown.
5. Deglaze the pan with red wine vinegar.
6. Add the beef, onions, mushrooms (except for the reserved 1/2 cup), garlic, paprika, beef bone broth, tamari and coconut cream to the casserole. Mix through and cover. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 2-3 hours or until beef is tender. Ensure the stew doesn’t boil or the coconut cream may split.
7. Add in lemon juice, lemon zest and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper to taste
8. With the remaining mushrooms, fry in a little olive oil until browned on both sides and serve on top.