This salad is warming, filling, and highly nutritious. It contains 8 out of the 17 foods listed in our best beauty foods blog, so it's a huge winner (and if you treat yourself to a couple of squares of dark chocolate straight after, or a glass of red wine during, then well done! You have consumed over half of the best beauty foods on our list in just one sitting - you over-achiever!).
Some of the superstars of this dish include:
- The roasted pumpkin, which provides you with complex carbohydrates and beta-carotene (vitamin A) which supports skin and eye health.
- Avocado, which is high in healthy fats which are great for skin barrier function and are a source of the vitamins E, K, and A.
- Spinach, which is rich in folate (essential for healthy cell growth), high in fibre (great for healthy bowels and waste elimination), and high in iron! In this recipe, we have included lemon juice, which helps to convert the iron into a more bioavailable form, and Iron is essential for oxygen transport and feeds tissues (including skin, hair, and nails).
- Broccoli, which contains vitamin C, folate, vitamin A, vitamin K, iron, manganese, and potassium. It also contains the powerful antioxidant called sulforaphane which improves oxygenation of the skin, promotes hair and nail growth and it anti-inflammatory.
- Tomatoes, which provide a heap of nutrients, but particularly the skin-protecting antioxidant lycopene.
- Hemp seeds, which are a complete protein and provide omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Speaking of complete proteins, the combination of rice and legumes also ensures all of your essential amino acids are covered!