This recipe is the delicious gluten-free love child of a focaccia and a pizza. The base is a satisfying bready-biscuity texture and the toppings are simple yet effective, making this recipe an absolute winner to have alone, but also a great way to transport more food into your mouth! The base is made up from tapioca flour, almond meal and eggs making it naturally gluten-free, a source of protein and healthy fats, and it’s much more nutritious than your typical flatbread.
1 ½ tsp baking powder
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
125ml almond milk
¼ cup mixed olives, sliced
punnet of mixed cherry tomatoes, sliced
2½ cups almonds, blitzed into meal
1 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp Himalayan crystal salt
NUTRA ORGANICS PRODUCTS
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice your onion and add to a small saucepan over a low heat, with a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Allow to cook, stirring once in a while to stop it sticking, until your onions are soft and caramelized (this took us about 30 minutes).
- In a large bowl, combine your almond meal, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk your eggs together with olive oil and almond milk.
- Pour your egg mixture into your dry ingredients slowly and mix together to form a smooth, slightly runny dough.
- Spoon your dough onto your prepared tray and use the back of your spoon to spread out the dough to the shape and thickness you want (about 5mm).
- Bake dough for 5 minutes, or until cooked through and slightly browned, remove from your oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temp to 240C.
- Top your flatbreads with caramelized onions, cherry tomatoes, olives, rosemary, broth and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Place back into oven and cook for a further 5-10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on a bit more fresh rosemary and olive oil if desired.
Makes 2 large flatbreads.