2 tbsp olive oil
600 gm chuck steak, cut into 2cm pieces
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
250 ml water
2 sheets Puff pastry - preferably butter, additive free
2 sheets Shortcrust pastry - preferably butter, additive free
1 egg, lightly beaten
NUTRA ORGANICS PRODUCTS
- Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat. Season beef then cook in batches until golden. Remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and carrot to pan, sauté for about 5 minutes,
- Add beef back in, then add tapioca flour, stir to combine, add the tomato paste, beef concentrate, water, worcestershire and balsamic vinegar. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 2-2½ hours, until beef is tender
- Remove cover and cook until sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Set aside to cool, then refrigerate until completely cooled (you can do all this a day ahead of the party and be a time-saving genius)
- Oil a muffin tray. Roll out shortcrust pastry and cut twelve 10 cm diameter rounds - do a test to fit your muffin tray. Line a 12 capacity muffin tray with pastry and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut twelve 7cm diameter rounds of puff pastry - big enough to tuck into the side of the pie a little bit
- Divide pie mixture among pastry filled muffin tray, lay the puff pastry rounds on top and brush with egg wash.
- Press edges together and refrigerate for another 20 minutes, meanwhile preheat oven to 200C.
- Bake until golden and the meat is heated through (15-20 minutes). Serve with tomato sauce.
Servings: 12 pies
Ready in: 4 hours
Difficulty level: Medium