Would you look at these jolly little cuties! A little bit of fun and whimsy is always welcome at our table, and these Santa Strawberry-Mellows are definitely on the nice list this year. Super simple, really cute, and absolutely delish, these tick all of our boxes.
1 punnet of strawberries, hulled
½ cup water
1 cup maple syrup
Black sesame seeds (optional)
3 tbsp Natural Gelatin
- Cut the base of the strawberries off about 1 cm from the bottom to make the base and the hat.
- Prepare a piping bag
- Place the gelatin and 1/2 cup of water in a mixing bowl to bloom.
- Heat the maple syrup, 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Let it boil for a couple of minutes at soft boil stage (or 240 degrees if you have a candy thermometer). Remove from the heat.
- Turn your mixer or beaters on low and slowly add the stream of syrup mixture to the gelatin.
- Once it has thickened, (about 5 minutes) working quickly so that it doesn’t set, test to ensure it’s not too thin by placing a dollop of the mixture onto a strawberry. If it doesn’t hold it’s shape and begins to flatten out, then the mixture needs more whipping. Mix in 2 minute intervals until the right texture is achieved.
- Then add the mixture to the piping bag, and dollop marshmallow on each strawberry base, then stick on the Santa hat straight away.
- Add a tiny little dot of marshmallow to the top of the had
- Add 2 black sesame seeds to the marshmallow for eyes (optional)
Ready 45 mins