30 garlic cloves
3 tbsp sunflower oil
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp poppy seeds or black sesame
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 cup plain flour (or flour of your choice)
2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for brushing
60ml (¼ cup) water, plus 3 tsps extra
2 tbsp The Wholefood Pantry Pepitas
2 tbsp The Wholefood Pantry Himalayan Crystal Salt, extra to taste
1 tbsp Vegetable Broth of your choice
1. Soak the garlic cloves in ice cold water, this will take the heat out.
2. In a pot over medium heat, add 1 cup of water and cornflour, stirring until thick and there are no lumps. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Process garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food processor until smooth, scraping down sides (1-2 minutes). Add cooled cornflour paste and process for an extra minute. Slowly pour oil into a food processor in a thin, steady stream to make an emulsified sauce. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice. Set aside until ready to serve.
4. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
5. In a small frying pan, gently toast the spices over low heat until they are fragrant
6. In a large bowl, mix the flour, oil and 60ml (¼ cup) water using a wooden spoon until just combined.
7. Tip the dough out onto a floured work bench, then knead for about a minute, or until the dough comes together; it should have the texture of a soft playdough.
8. Shape the dough into a log about 30cm and cut into eight pieces. Using your rolling pin, roll each piece into an oblong shape.
9. Sprinkle each piece of dough evenly with the salt and the toasted spices. Gently roll the rolling pin over the top.
10. Transfer to baking trays lined with baking paper. Brush with a little olive oil, then prick all over with a fork to stop air bubbles forming. Bake for 8-15 minutes, checking every 2 minutes after the 8 minute mark or until they are golden.
11. Leave to cool on a wire rack. When cooled, transfer to an airtight container.