1 whole chicken - highest welfare available
5 tsp salt
2 x 600ml of buttermilk
Dutch carrots, trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
Red onion, sliced in quarters
1 lemon, halved
1 tbsp Chicken Bone Broth Miso Ramen
- Salt chicken all over - really go to town (4 tsp).
- Place chicken in a large zip lock bag or large container.
- Cover with buttermilk and seal.
- Place in the fridge overnight (you could even do 2 nights).
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Take chicken out of the fridge and place on the bench for 30 mins so that it is not super cool. A chicken will never cook evenly if it is very cold so try to skip this step.
- Drain chicken (in a colander works) for a few minutes then transfer to a baking tray.
- Tie chicken legs together.
- Salt with remaining 1-2 tsp all over.
- Place chicken on the oven tray with the legs facing the BACK of the oven. That way the breast is facing the front and the chicken will cook evenly (bye bye dry chicken breast).
- Bake for 20 mins per 500g.
- With about 40 minutes to go, coat veggies in a little olive oil, salt, and Chicken Bone Broth Miso Ramen, then place in the tray around the chicken.
- To ensure your chicken is cooked you can pierce the joint where the legs join the body - then the rest of the chook and make sure the juices run clear.
- Rest for 10-15 mins prior to serving.
- Goes wonderfully with the Epic Chicken Gravy - do yourself a favour and make the gravy!
Ready in: 2 hours + overnight marinade