This ain’t your grandma’s soggy caesar salad. We’ve grown quite fond of creating mountains of nutritious goodness, so pack your hiking gear because this time we’ve taken the humble Caesar salad to the next level. We’ve made a flavour-packed vegan caesar dressing with the help of Vegan Nutritional Savoury Flakes which is the perfect substitute for that cheesy substitute with the added benefit of being a vegan source of vitamin B12. The real game-changer in this recipe is our delightfully smokey sweet potato bacon, that will definitely have you coming back for a second serving.
2 baby cos or gem lettuce, chopped in 2 cm rounds
2 cups kale (curly or tuscan)
2 avocados, peeled and cut into eights, lengthways
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
2 tbsp Plant-based liquid smoke
1 tbsp tamari
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp vegan mustard
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 tsp Plant-based Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup The Wholefood Pantry Pepitas
1 tbsp The Wholefood Pantry Maple Syrup
The Wholefood Pantry Pink Himalayan Crystal Salt
1/2 cup The Wholefood Pantry Vegan Nutritional Savoury Flakes
1. Bake sweet potato in olive oil and pinch of salt at 200ºC for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile mix together liquid smoke, tamari, maple & smoked paprika. Pour over sweet potato, carefully turning to coat all over then place back in the oven for 10 minutes until caramelised and sticky. Set aside.
3. Tear pieces of kale and scrunch in your hands for a few seconds to soften, then add to a large mixing bowl along with the baby cos.
4. Make the dressing by combining mayonnaise, vegan nutritional savoury flakes, lemon juice, dijon, garlic and Worcestershire sauce, with a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Bring everything together in a large bowl and coat with the dressing.
6. Turn out onto a platter and serve immediately.