We may not be perfect, but you can bet our skincare routine is. Ok, maybe not all the time...but we’ve definitely been using this lockdown respite to channel our energy into glowing, hydrated and healthy skin - and the timing couldn’t be better. During the cooler months our skin tends to become more sensitive due to the dry nature of the weather conditions. This often leads to flaky, dehydrated skin, which we are not about.
That’s why we’ve put together some easy-to-follow tips for maintaining silky skin during Winter.
1. Wear sunscreen every day - Whether it’s rain, hail or Winter shine, sunscreen is a must. But what if I’m not leaving the house, you might ask. Well, believe it or not sunscreen is still a great addition to your skincare routine. Sunscreen protects us from UV rays, which may be old news for you, but it can also help to protect our skin from the blue light that’s generated by our computers and phone screens.
2. Eat a healthy and varied diet - A golden oldie for us here at Nutra Organics, but you just can’t argue with science. The fact is, a healthy and varied diet will give your skin all the nutrients it needs to build, repair and glow all on its own. There’s always going to be outliers to this rule, such as hormonal changes or environmental factors. But if you get the basics right with your diet, you’re giving your skin a great foundation to be the silkiest it can be. Super Greens + Reds is a great option to help fill any nutritional gaps in your diet.
3. Hydrate inside and out - Another fundamental, and we’re sorry to reinforce the basics. But every drop counts when it comes to healthy skin. As we age, it becomes more difficult for our bodies to retain water, ultimately impacting the visible signs of aging in our skin. Keeping up your water intake will help to naturally increase skin elasticity and hydration. Get a little extra help from Glow Mist, our hydrating facial spray that will have you looking and feeling dewy and smooth.
4. Manage stress - Easier said than done, we get it. However, stress gone unmanaged can absolutely change the condition of your skin and also trigger breakouts. Our recommendations here are learning some mindfulness or grounding exercises. Some easy online guided meditations are also a great option. By managing your stress levels, you should be able to better control your skincare.
5. Exfoliate weekly - Nothing says ‘dry skin’ like a build up of dead skin cells. An exfoliant will help you to naturally shed the old skin and support your body to easily turnover new skin cells. If you don’t have a good scrub already, there are loads of DIY options you can google. Post exfoliation, your skin will be a fresher version of itself and more sensitive than usual. Make sure you go the extra mile to protect your skin after you exfoliate so you don’t damage the fresh layer you’ve just unearthed.
6. More is not always best - There is a point of no return when it comes to topical skin care, and that point is probably around product number six. If you have a normal skin type, the basics are all you really need, which include;
- Toner (optional)
- Skin treat (serum, spray, oil, balm - these are also optional and should be alternated)
Aside from your weekly exfoliation and maybe the occasional mask, if you are adding in anything extra, you may be running the risk of clogging up your pores - and no one wants congested skin. If you do want to add extra products to your routine, we recommend doing some research first or consulting a skin specialist.
7. The other product we would suggest taking in parallel to your topical skin care regime morning and night is an ingestible product - like our award winning Collagen Beauty™. This will help to hydrate your skin from the inside out.
8. Change your skincare routine seasonally - As we are approaching the end of Winter, it may be best to think about how your skin reacts to temperature changes. A hydration spray, like Glow Mist, may be exactly what your skin needs in Winter, but perhaps a restorative serum to protect against the harsh Summer heat is in order during the warmer months. Rotating between skin treats can be really beneficial when considering the effects of your environmental changes.
9. Not having hot showers - We know it’s still cold, and when you feel it deep in your bones nothing is more soothing than a hot, steamy shower (or bath if that’s your thang). However, hot showers have been proven to dry out and irritate skin. Try to keep the temperature warm-to-cool so the balance in your skin isn’t interrupted.
11. Keep an eye on your room temperature - overheating (which we are all guilty of in Winter) can dry out your skin, not to mention drain your energy bill. Keeping your heater at a neutral temp means more hydrated and younger feeling skin.
12. Fight back against dry patches - The constant irritation of dry Winter weather can result in the formation of dry skin patches. Our hydrating Collagen Balm is the perfect restorative ointment to address a build up of dry, flaky skin patches.
There you have it! Eleven handy tips to prevent dry Winter skin and have your face feeling smoother than a baby’s bum. If you feel like you still need a little extra help from yours truly, check out our Winter Skin bundle for everything you need.